Mar 17, 2016
Ordinance 4-2016 - Tax Increment Financing District
Jan 11, 2016
Town Meeting - Approximately 100 residents met on Jan 10 at Hawthorne Elementary for a Town Meeting. Here are some documents presented at that meeting.
Villager Newsletter Article - Jan 2016 Issue
By Mayor Lynn Eisentrout
I know this is on everyone’s minds, and many things are happening at the same time. Stay up-to-date with information posted at minervapark.org/golfcourse.
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District numbers are being worked out with the Westerville School District (a percentage of the monies collected to make the District whole for the number of students that will be added to the schools).
- M/I developers are planning for certain improvements to the earthen dam and infrastructure.
- The terms of the annexation and the rezoning are being negotiated between the Village officials (with the Planning & Zoning Commission members in an advisory capacity). Also present are both our legal counsel and MI’s legal counsel.
- A work session was held on December 21 that included all of the above except the TIF numbers to prepare for the combined Town Meeting and Open House to be held, weather permitting, on Sunday, January 10, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Hawthorne Elementary. January 17 is the alternate date.
The Open House agenda will be as follows:
- From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., residents will have the opportunity to speak to the M/I staff, view drawings and plans of the development, and jot down questions on index cards that will be addressed at the Town Meeting from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- From 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., the Town Meeting will be held.
- From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., residents will have a second opportunity to speak to elected officials and the M/I staff once again.
- I will be available throughout and after the meeting to answer any questions that you may have.
Please know that it is important to your Council, Planning & Zoning members, and your Mayor that we have as much transparency throughout this process as is possible. We have been as inclusive in sharing information as we can be.
Please remember that the Village does not own this land has no say in the sale of this land, and the property is not within the Village “city” limits. It is in Blendon Township, and the owners are determined to sell it. These owners have been most patient with us and, speaking from personal experience of working with them for more than a decade, they have been very honest about their intentions to sell. They also have expressed concern that this sale and possible development of their property would have a more positive impact on the Village than a negative one. One way to ensure that is to annex the property into the Village and rezone this Planned District to mirror our zoning style to attract good residents that will add to the ambience of our lovely little Village. True, it won’t be as little as before, given an additional 250 homes is significant growth by our standards. We can still be the captains of our own destiny if we keep an open mind. Sometimes change is inevitable, and sometimes it is uncomfortable. I look forward to your comments at the Town Meeting - Open House … or before, if you wish. My door is always open. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by M/I Homes
Proposed Project Highlights ...
- Project name will be “Minerva Park” (will be marketed as an “extension” of the existing community).
- 250 new homes (lower density than any previously proposed project)
- Significant open space preserved within the site.
- Expected average sales price of $250,000.
- M/I will provide a future school site for Westerville Schools.
- New major road extending from St.Rt. 161 south directly into the project site (will significantly reduce traffic impacts to the existing MP roads).
- M/I will commit to repairing the failing dam (a cost that would otherwise burden Minerva Park’s budget).
- M/I will commit to repairing the main sanitary trunk line that runs through the golf course.
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) placed on the project will yield the Village $10MM+ in revenue over 30 years